Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Funky Tunes: HBS (Ben Sheppard) - In Deep Owl

Alright, for those who don't know who Ben Shepherd is, he's the bassist for Soundgarden (after Hiro Yamamoto left). Soundgarden was pretty big back in the 90's grunge scene, and still are a pretty big name, coming up with a new album in 2012, appearing in the Avengers' soundtrack and whatnot. I was a pretty big fan back when I was a serious grunge head. Oh yeah, I went through that phase. Wearing plaid shirts and washed up jeans, rocking to AIC, Pearl Jam, Nirvana and STP. Good times they were. But that's besides the point. See, the reason I mention this is because recently, I stumbled into Ben Shepherd's solo project. And what an album it was. I had no idea what a musician he was till heard this. He turns out to be a surprisingly good rhythm guitarists, and even a decent vocalist, although you cant really beat Cornell. The album begins with a Slow, haunting, acoustic-y "Stone Pale" and progresses fluidly only to end on another brilliant acoustic number, "The Train You Can't Win (Holes)", this one with a bluesy feel to it. Other mentionable tracks are "Collide" and "Neverone Blues".

The sad thing is, there is so little on the internet about this wonderful album, despite it being released quite some time now. and it seems such a waste to see a honestly good piece of art just fade away like that. So yeah, here am I blogging about it and hoping that you guys might give it a listen. I've included the full album  HBS - In Deep Owl,  here so yeah do give it a listen, its right below this post. Enjoy!
Oh yeah, one last thing. Do buy the album and support the artist. We do want to hear more of this guy, I'm sure.





No comments:

Post a Comment